April 14, 1920 is the birthdate of Lenore Robison Wittwer, also known as Grandmama. She will especially be on my mind today. I encourage anyone who reads this blog to enter a memory you have of Grandmama. She was born and raised in Overton, Nevada. Perhaps something you don't know about Grandmama was that she was selected to represent the state of Nevada, when she was a senior in High School, in Washington DC. I just looked in several of my "keepsake boxes" but couldn't find the articles and letters and pictures about her trip but it was much like Girl's State but back in her days it was one girl from each state going to Washington DC instead of one girl from each high school going to their state capitol. It was a really big deal and a very big honor to be selected - a young high school girl from a small, small farming town traveling across the country on the train by herself.
As you all know, Grandmama loved RVing. She and GRandpapa started RVing back in the 1960's. Before their first little trailer they always camped in a tent. After John and I graduated from high school they bought their first little trailer. Dad and I met them at Lundy Lake in the Sierra's on Labor Day weekend in September 1967 (I remember this because I was 8 months pregnant with Gary Scott). That first trailer of theirs was very small - the kitchen table made into the bed - Dad and I had to sleep in the tent. If I find pictures, I will have Dore' or Darcie walk me through posting them on the blog. I have many memories of Grandmama in her trailers. How I miss meeting up with the folks and sharing the talks, the crafts, the cooking, the side trips, the fishing, watching the wildlife (Grandmama got soooo excited with the wildlife, even the little chipmunks and the birds), doing jigsaw puzzles on the picnic table at their campsite, and meeting all the people in the campsites (Grandmama was very friendly and met everybody!!!!). What great times !!!
After writing this I went through some pictures and found the first trailer - I had forgotten that the bed was made from the couch. The kitchen table seats folded down and made a single bed. The bathroom was just the commode (still no shower until their next trailer). The pictures of the September 1967 trip are with the albums that John has. The pictures I have posted are Gary Scott, 18 months. He is standing on the kitchen seat, Grandpapa is sitting on the couch/bed, the door with the mirror on it is the "commode closet". Grandpapa and Grandmama thought they were "uptown" !!!!! The trailer is parked on the trailer pad in Concord California in the pictures with Gary Scott.
As you all know, Grandmama loved RVing. She and GRandpapa started RVing back in the 1960's. Before their first little trailer they always camped in a tent. After John and I graduated from high school they bought their first little trailer. Dad and I met them at Lundy Lake in the Sierra's on Labor Day weekend in September 1967 (I remember this because I was 8 months pregnant with Gary Scott). That first trailer of theirs was very small - the kitchen table made into the bed - Dad and I had to sleep in the tent. If I find pictures, I will have Dore' or Darcie walk me through posting them on the blog. I have many memories of Grandmama in her trailers. How I miss meeting up with the folks and sharing the talks, the crafts, the cooking, the side trips, the fishing, watching the wildlife (Grandmama got soooo excited with the wildlife, even the little chipmunks and the birds), doing jigsaw puzzles on the picnic table at their campsite, and meeting all the people in the campsites (Grandmama was very friendly and met everybody!!!!). What great times !!!
After writing this I went through some pictures and found the first trailer - I had forgotten that the bed was made from the couch. The kitchen table seats folded down and made a single bed. The bathroom was just the commode (still no shower until their next trailer). The pictures of the September 1967 trip are with the albums that John has. The pictures I have posted are Gary Scott, 18 months. He is standing on the kitchen seat, Grandpapa is sitting on the couch/bed, the door with the mirror on it is the "commode closet". Grandpapa and Grandmama thought they were "uptown" !!!!! The trailer is parked on the trailer pad in Concord California in the pictures with Gary Scott.



No comments:
Post a Comment